ERIK L. OLSEN
Onkel Tom Strasse 17
Berlin, Germany 14169
+49 152 3680 4243
530 4th Street, #3
Brooklyn, NY 11125
THE NEW YORK TIMES
New York City / Berlin Bureau, Germany
October 2005 - Present
SR. VIDEO JOURNALIST
● As the TimesŐ first overseas staff video journalist, I cover Eastern and Western Europe. I shoot, edit, write original video stories for the TimesŐ Web site, as well as occasionally for television and other digital outlets.
● Cover breaking news as well as shoot and produce documentary-length features
● Have worked for most every news desk including foreign, national, science, metro, travel and technology.
● Write for print and am a frequent contributor to various nytimes blogs.
● For about a year, I produced the NYTimes.com show TimesCast, managing a group of 4 people to put on a daily online news program.
● My work has won numerous awards and gained international recognition.
New York, NY
June 2004 - October 2005
● As part of Weblogs, Inc., I was the first editor and writer of this popular travel-themed blog.
● Wrote daily and feature articles, produced podcasts.
● Shot and edited audio and video about adventure travel.
● Over the course of two years, I hired and managed a team of six writers and grew the monthly traffic of the site from zero to over a million visitors a month.
New York, NY
March 1999 to June 2004
ASSOCIATE PRODUCER / OFF-AIR PRODUCER (TV) / MANAGING PRODUCER, SPECIAL PROJECTS (ABCNEWS.COM)
● Reporting, story development, setting up and supervising shoots and story production.
● Shot video, edited, wrote and produced stories for broadcast.
● Covered early stages of 2004 Presidential campaign as off-air producer.
● Wrote and edited news pieces for broadcast and was frequent contributor to ABC News' The Note.
● Pioneered development of several of the first Internet-only video shows for a major news organization.
● Managed development of special multimedia projects, including those for Nightline, 20/20, Good Morning America, World News Tonight.
● Creator/lead producer Lennon in New York, an award-winning multimedia package featuring video, audio, text and other interactive elements about John LennonŐs life in New York City.
RUBIN POSTAER AND ASSOCIATES
Santa Monica, CA
August 1997 to March 1999
● Led production of numerous interactive projects for major corporate clients (Honda, VH1, Arco).
● Managed all aspects of production and drove the successful implementation of new technologies such as video and Flash.
WORLD BUSINESS UPDATE
● Reported and wrote general interest and business articles for this English-language newspaper.
● Interviews were conducted in Spanish and English with top Chilean business people, government officials, and others.
● Worked with software development team, marketing team and Apple developers to develop a Web-browsing feature-set for an Apple handheld device.
1993 to 1995
● Wrote stories about local news and culture for this weekly paper.
THAILAND ENVIRONMENT INSTITUTE
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE AND ASSISTANT TO THE PRESIDENT
● Analyzed emerging environmental problems in Thailand and Southeast Asia and wrote reports and speeches for presentation at international conferences.
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
1990 to 1992
SPECIAL ASSISTANT OFFICE OF THE SECRETARY
● Served as spokesman for the Secretary of the Interior in regional magazines and newspapers.
● Prepared press releases and arranged interviews for Secretary and other interior senior staff.
● Traveled nationwide with Secretary of the Interior and advised him on media issues.
Other Odd and/or Random Jobs:
Windsurfing and catamaran instructor: San Diego, CA
Ski area photographer: Squaw Valley, CA
Junior rafting guide: Boulder, CO
Little league umpire: Boulder, CO
University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
MASTERS DEGREE, Environmental Management.
Semester scholarship for international program at Instituto de Empresa, Madrid, Spain.
University of Colorado, Boulder, CO
BACHELOR OF ARTS. Majored in Modern European History and Political Science.
Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, Photoshop, Canon C100, Canon 5D Mark III
PHOTOGRAPHY: PHOTOS PUBLISHED IN: The New York Times, The Australian, Oxygen Magazine, Adventure kayaker Magazine, Teen Vogue, ABC News.com, MSNBC.com, Paddler Magazine, Sea Kayaker Magazine, Los Angeles Times, Stellar, Metro Sports NY, Matchbox Magazine.
LANGUAGE: Spanish, some German
ACTIVITIES, AWARDS, MEMBERSHIPS
● Winner 2015 RTDNF/RIAS New Media Award for coverage of GermanyŐs renewable energy revolution
● Co-Winner: RTDNA : 2013 National Edward R. Murrow Award Winner for Breaking News
● Winner 2012 Peoples Voice Webby - Sports Video - Arctic Hoop Dreams
● 2013 Environmental Fellow, The Logan Science Journalism Program at the Marine Biological Laboratory
● 2011 RIAS Berlin German/American Exchange Journalism Fellow
● 2010 Woods Hole Ocean Science Journalism Fellow
● 2009 Scripps Howard Institute on the Environment Fellow
● Winner: New York Times Publisher Award
● FINALIST: Online Journalism Awards: Lennon in New York
● FINALIST: Current.TV: Postcard from Varanasi
● Presenter and speaker at various tech symposia and conferences.
● Presented to civic groups an hour-long talk and slide presentation about a 10,000 mile overland trip I took from Antarctica to Los Angeles.
● Hosted weekly talk show for KUCB radio, Boulder, CO.
● Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholarship for 1996, Santiago, Chile.
● Lyndon B. Johnson Scholarship for internship in Washington DC.
● Presenter 2013 AAAS ANNUAL MEETING
● Member: Society of Environmental Journalists (SEJ)
● Member: Society of South Asian Journalists (SAJA)
● Member: Online News Association (ONA)